21 January 2011

Gore, town info


Gore is about 500 km South from Christchurch. It is a fairly large country town with a couple of big supermarkets, a few restaurants including Chinese, Indian and Thai restaurants, different banks, and other shops like a book and hardware store.

The town was much bigger than I expected, and I was able to get everything I needed from a bottle of soy sauce to a small tube of silicone to fix my tent.

I found two shops in the middle of the town who sell fishing gears . You might not find a pair of wading shoes in your size or your favourite fly rod in these shops, but you should be able to get other items, such as, tippets, leaders, floatant, etc.





An interesting old building that I saw in Gore








Gore Motor Camp had been my home while I was there. People running the place were very kind, and it was a nice place to set up the base camp.

A kitchen was fairly large and well equipped, and toilets and showers were neat. I hate those caravan parks where they skimp hot water. It wasn't the case at Gore Motor Camp.

The cost of a tent site was $15. They also have two very nice self contained units which my friends and I used until they left the place.

I guess the only problem with this place was that it is standing close to train track, and I was woken up by a freight train passes every early morning. You don't hear that, if you are in the cabin, but it gets pretty loud and it is very noticeable if you are in a tent as it shakes ground.


My sweet home





It took us nearly 7 hours to drive to Gore from Christchurch (including a lunch stop and coffee break). On my return leg, I took Intercity Bus and it cost me $66. The bus left Gore around 10:00AM and it arrived at Christchurch at 7:00PM stopping here and there for lunch and break.

I kind of wished if they stopped bit longer at various places. Towns like Dunnedin, Oamaru and Timaru, looked very interesting to walk around.

On the other hand, some locals told me that many people around Gore fly out from either Queens Town or Dunedin to go oversea holidays, and this could be a goo idea if people want to cut down their traveling time from and to Christchurch.


Intercity Bus that I was on was much better than this one

No comments: