05 October 2013

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

I bought a second hand EF85mm f/1.8 today.

It is less than 12 months old, and it appears that it has been hardly used.  There is a tiny hair line mark on the front lens, which my friends could not spot when I pointed it out, and more importantly it doesn't appear to be affecting images at all, at least on my test shots. The rear element is perfectly clean which would be more critical, I guess. The price tag was very reasonable ($200) and a lens hood came with it for free.  

Auto focus on this lens is super fast and quiet.  I thought it was broken first as it didn't make much noise (compared to my 50mm f/2.5 macro which sounds like some sort of gears are missing inside when it is focusing).

I went out to pick up the lens, and went fishing straight after that, so I took some test shots on the river in the afternoon. I love the out of focus blur that I can get from this lens when I shot with wide aperture.  I think it is way too narrow for fishing use, but this would be a great lens for my portrait work that I want to do.

@ f/1.8




@ f/1.8
@ f/2.8
@ f/14
@ f/6.3
@ f/2.0
@ f/6.3
@ f/2.8
@ f/5.0
@ f/8.0

No comments: