30 April 2011

After a long drive


On the way back home from South, I stopped at the Canning River to fish in the late afternoon yesterday.


I actually went out to fish for trout one more time before the season ends, but as I have predicted, there was only a trickle of water left. I checked around a few places, but I didn't even see any single trout let alone hook up one.

We had the driest winter ever last year, so there was only small amount of water in rivers and lakes at the beginning of another hot and dry summer. Not having rain for so long, the water has simply dried up, and it looked like fish have gone too. I hope some fish made their way to some deeper water and they will return after this winter (hopefully this winter will be wet one).

Anyway, after having a long drive, I came back home to fish on the river just down the road. Unlike those puddles I saw earlier, the river was alive. Bait fish were jumping around, and I saw an armada of pelicans moving in to intercept them.

It was interesting to see those pelicans approaching in a V-formation, and then moving into a circle to trap a school of bait fish before gulping them. I then hooked up a couple of bream (only small ones) in the same area where pelicans were feeding. I wonder if bream also hunt in their tight formation and round up bait like pelicans do.


The Pelican Armada

禁漁前の最後の鱒釣りでしたが、去年の冬から今年の夏の間、殆ど雨がふらず、川や湖の水は完全に干上がった状態で釣りどころの話ではありませんでした。

まあ話には聞いていたのですが、自分で確かめておこうと思い出かけてみました。どこにも行っても魚はおろか水も無い状態で、残念な事に魚は全滅に近いかもしれません。

帰りに近くの川で
気晴らしにクロダイを釣りましたが、こちらは飛び跳ねるベイトやそれを追うペリカンの群れなどで、いきいきしていました。




Another group of pelicans on the other side of the river


Speaking of life in the river, dolphins have been showing up lately.

No comments: