12 October 2012

Trangia burner and Clikstand


I had a chance to try my old Trangia burner on a new Clikstand when I was camping at Walpole.

Trangia alchole burner is very easy to use and reliable as there is no mechanical parts which can go wrong (I was once watching my friend frantically trying to put back all parts on his MSR Whisper Lite after taking it apart while we were on a fishing trip in NZ).

Alcohol fuel (methylated spirit) is not so expensive, easily available, and I feel much safer to use than something like petrol. Alcohol fuel is probably bit more environmental than other types of fuels too (e.g. empty gas canisters will be ended up in a rubbish tip unless they recycle those).

I must admit that alcohol burners don't have a fire power of gas or petrol burners, however, in the actual field use, I haven't felt this to be a big problem. While I am waiting for water to boil, I just do other things like washing my fly reel, chopping up vegetables, or chasing down cheeky kookaburras trying to steel my food.

Anyway, I have been impressed with Trangia & Clikstand combo so far.  It is very light (I have chosen titanium one), functional (it boiled 500cc of water while my friend walked to toilet and come back), and looks cool (Clikstand reminds me of an ingenious rotary engine of Mazda RX7).

Clikstand in action




























 











The only problem that I have experienced so far is to start up a fire with something like a cigaret lighter. The burner sits low inside of the stand, so I had to point flame downwards to light it up. This was too awkward to do without burning my fingers.

I had a better result with using match sticks as my fingers are away from flame, but I decided to get a fire starter which can shoot sparks away from the burner.

So, I went to a local Paddy Palin store yesterday, and bought Scout Fire Steel by Light My Fire (by the way, the lady who was at the store was very knowledgeable and her customer service was great).

With the new toy from Light My Fire, starting fire on my Trangia burner is a mater of one flick on a fire stick.

Scout Fire Steel from Lite My Fire

No comments: